There are many old buildings in the middle of large and small cities, where when they were built, the architects did not notice the possibility of installing an elevator. Normally, in this type of property the tenants are usually of advanced age and every time they are heavier to use the stairs. Maybe it is not a problem for those who live in the first floors, but if we talk about a third or fourth floor, the difficulties increase.
Many times, when the building was designed without including an elevator, looking to install it now becomes a complex process, but there are different options to have one. Some of the alternatives to be able to install it are:
- Take advantage of the patio of lights , which is the access of sunlight to the interior of the building and facilitates the ventilation of those homes that communicate with it. As it is a space that is barely used, it is a good option where you can install it.
- In other cases, you can demolish or redistribute the ladder so that a gap can exist . This is an option that implies a greater cost and time, but it is an alternative that can be taken into account.
- You can also delete part of the houses . It is not a usual practice, but it has happened on some occasions that owners give up a small space to build the elevator shaft. This has happened when the installation is essential and necessary, since it requires the collaboration of all affected tenants.
- Can be installed on the facade . In this case, permission must be requested from the competent local authority to request the cession of that public space and be able to install the elevator. Unless the façade communicates to a non-public space or an interior patio, then it is not necessary to request permits.
When to resort to the installation of elevators in facade?
Depending on the construction, it is possible that a sufficiently large space can be found in the stairwell that allows installing a single-family or conventional elevator. This location will allow you to choose between a variety of enclosures such as a metal mesh, a flat or perforated sheet, glass and a long etcetera, plus it will have a slight structure because it will have a fastening element such as the staircase turns.
Normally, the stairwell is usually not very wide and this determines the dimensions of the elevator. Sometimes, the installation becomes a large project when it is approved to cut the stairs to gain space, which undoubtedly raises the budget considerably. If it is intended to have an elevator with a capacity that can accommodate a chair Loosely shaped wheels, installing an exterior lift is an option that should be valued.
Efficiency and energy savings also reach the world of elevators, and therefore it is booming to install an elevator on the facade instead of inside. In Spain, many local, regional and state regulations have been approved to install this type of lifts both in courtyards and on facades, thereby increasing the value of buildings thanks to the advantages of having an elevator.
The construction style allows those with reduced mobility, a lot of age or simply who need to transport weight to do it in a more comfortable way, as well as offering an increase in value in terms of accessibility to the building.
Outdoor elevators for houses
If when building your house you did not take into account that at some point it might be necessary to incorporate an elevator and did not leave the necessary space for it, outdoor installation is one of the available options. If the stairwell is insufficient or it is simply technically impossible to do it, the best alternative is to opt for an elevator with a modular structure.
Outdoor elevators for communities
There has already been talk about the installation of an elevator in a community; therefore, when it is impossible, it can be installed on the facade of the building. This case is the cleanest solution, but it depends on whether it is an isolated building or that it has enough outside space for its placement without affecting the free movement of pedestrians and does not invade the sidewalk. They are becoming more frequent in all the cities of the world.
Normally, the city councils do not usually put many problems, although these are one of the permits that are most delayed.
Decisions and cost sharing in a community of owners
The installation of an elevator is controversial if there is not enough space or if the neighbors of the lower floors do not consider the investment viable. Many of the owners believe that the expenses will not compensate them or that the interior patio or façade will be damaged due to the installation. Although the truth is that technological advances to adopt satisfactory solutions for all parties are already a reality.
When you want to install an elevator in a building, due to the investment involved, usually the neighbors of the first floor, the low and the commercial premises usually oppose. This point is important, because if your building has commercial premises, these, by law, must pay for the elevator works even if they do not have access to it.
What prerequisites have to be met to install a lift on the facade?
The most important thing is to learn about the technical, urban and administrative regulation to carry out the work and install the elevator towers on the facades of residential buildings if they occupy the public road or a green area. As for the exterior finishes, normally they must be integrated with the environment with materials according to the pre-existing, without causing damage to the paving, with a viable solution for the evacuation of water and, above all, that are consistent with the harmony and aesthetics of the city
The different autonomous communities favor the installation of elevators in the facades of the buildings built and even in new works, because it is an element that improves the quality of life of neighbors and their family and friends.
It is important to periodically perform maintenance checks on both industrial buildings and public places with large crowds and in residential buildings.
Advantages of installing an elevator on the facade
When the building is more than 50 years old, it is usual to resort to the façade to carry out its installation, because the spaces so small inside prevent it from doing it internally. Therefore, it is safest to locate them outside the building. Among the advantages of installing an elevator in this way, the following stand out:
- Greater accessibility . This is important because if in the building there is someone with mobility problems it becomes a very necessary measure. It is a form of integration in society and is one of the reasons why its installation is encouraged from the town halls.
- Facilitates the mobility of large weights, such as a piece of furniture. You do not have to walk all the floors up the stairs or fight with the available space. If the furniture is of the appropriate size, it is only unloaded and goes up to the house.
- There are state subsidies to install the elevators on the facades when a series of requirements are met; therefore, if your community gathers them it will be cheaper than installing a traditional elevator.
- The installation must comply with the aesthetics of the facade and the environment in which the building is located. Normally, when they are installed, it not only has a positive effect on the quality of life of the neighbors due to its greater accessibility and usefulness, but also makes the building more spectacular and aesthetic.
In short, each building is surrounded by its own and different circumstances and characteristics; therefore, when carrying out each project, the particularities and possibilities must be analyzed before offering the best solution for this usual situation.
The installation of elevators in the facades is a key factor and in Astarlift , as a company of accessible solutions, we know it. We have experience in offering clients any type of solution regarding accessibility. Therefore, we will advise you on the type of lift that is most suitable for your building or house with the greatest efficiency. Contact us if you want to install an elevator on your facade.