Lifts and hoists for hospitals constitute a specific product within the companies that are dedicated to providing mobility solutions and elevation. This is, on the other hand, facilities that have special characteristics, so that only companies with human and technical resources, as AstarLifts resources (qualified personnel on staff), can afford to present them in their catalogs.
Why the elevators in hospitals
It is well known that the elevators are mechanisms (especially electrical and hydraulic) to raise and lower heights and moving passengers and objects in a cab.
Naturally, the hospitals, which have a high movement of people and other effects, have to have lifts for transporting patients and equipment . Some elevators, for the specific services provided in hospitals, must possess specific characteristics.
Lifts hospitals, meanwhile, they are included in the concept of lifting public buildings, so that must have a reinforced security and capacity, among other features conditions.
The historical background of the elevators in hospitals
Everyone knows that there were lifts similar to the current arrangements, from the mid-nineteenth century. Hospitals were not unrelated to the implantation of these devices and vertical displacement were buildings where elevators were installed. Broadly they took into account the special circumstances related to the activity of health centers, so these lifts were large and more comfortable than those employed, for example, on farms or private homes.
Therefore, there are references hospital elevators, from as early as 1929. During that year, the Van Buren Hospital, which is located in the Chilean city of Valparaiso opened. He served, as you can imagine, for the transport of patients and hospital officials. Today, when it has been declared a National Historic Landmark, is reminiscent of a kind of funicular.
The passage of time led to greater sophistication in the design and construction of lifts for hospitals, which became a type of elevators to their specific technical characteristics. Similarly, the demands increased in hospitals, both public and private, and regulations on the minimum conditions of these facilities (introduced, some of which, in the mid-eighties of last century) began to reflect appropriate skills and performance level requirements. Keep in mind that, without a doubt, this is a facility where you have to prioritize safety and service optimization displacement is provided.
How the activity of a hospital affects the design of an elevator?
Undoubtedly, under the current comprehensive conception of the elevators, this equipment must be adapted, functional and aesthetically, the type of building that are to be installed. More, if possible, whether they will be part of a hospital.
Therefore, it is noteworthy that the vertical elevator traffic has its own characteristics. In fact, the specificity of the service itself makes these devices require the highest level in technological sophistication, signage and safety.
In this aspect, the dynamics of the hospitals that will make the operation and use of the service lifts are as follows:
- Transfers made with the patients have to be fast and, at the same time, safe and gentle. They are not therefore admissible, sudden movements. Especially when stopping and starting occurs.
- The equipment must be prepared to function properly in the event of high intensity peaks, which occur roughly at mealtimes or visits. Also, this capability of the apparatus, so that its operation is not affected in overloading cases use is vital, for example in joints marked by the coincidence of serious or urgent events (for example, a massive influx of patients, due medical intervention after a disaster).
- We must take into account the existence of preferential traffic in hospitals related to the movement of trucks of food (in very concrete and specific timetables) and gurney to be reaching the operating rooms (with Swiss punctuality).
- The timeout of health workers must be minimized. This requirement is associated broadly, both the speed of displacement and the opening of the doors.
- On the other hand, placing the banks and separation of staff who is visiting are recommended. In addition, the maneuvers must be carried out without intermediate stops and elevators are to be operated out of multiple bank, if necessary.
The specific features of the lifts for hospitals
In the previous section they are briefly described routines that characterize the daily life of a hospital, so there is no doubt that all the facilities and equipment of the building will have to adapt to the processes taking place in it.
Roughly speaking, already noted that these elevators have to combine speed, comfort, safety and capacity. We appreciate that there are patients who are to be transferred to facilities (such as ICU or ICU) with the utmost urgency. In addition, space must be sufficient to accommodate not only various health workers or family, but also mobile stretchers or tables where food is transported.
Besides, we must also consider that hospitals stand by the circulation of a large number of people who have mobility problems (eg patients who walk with crutches or in wheelchairs), so their presence is certainly appropriate of order to facilitate their transit through installations. Thus, it is not so necessary that these patients have an almost permanent presence of one or two auxiliary persons. In fact, these elevators in their access areas and other areas of hospital facilities, to be combined with elimination of architectural barriers and the strategic placement of ramps and stair lifts that make journeys for the most comfortable and functional pavilions. In this regard it is noteworthy that the company AstarLifts also offers, among its services, the installation of these platforms for lifting and transport.
Therefore, it should make a distinction on the first traffic hospitals:
- Transfer of people: doctors, nurses, patients and visitors outpatient.
- Passenger transport: patients in wheelchairs or stretchers, food, clothing, tools carts, etc.
In addition, you must also highlight other key aspects in the design of the lifts for hospitals, which are remarked as follows:
- In general, hospital elevators can reach endure a load of between 600 and 2,500 kilos.
- The usual capacity of these lifts are between 8 and 13 people (with limited kilos, on the other hand).
- The maximum path that can make these devices is 16 floors.
- The maximum height that can rise elevators hospital reaches 45 meters.
- The speed limit at which they can get these elevators is set at 1.6 meters per second.
Some specific features of the lifts for hospitals
As discussed earlier in the text, hospital elevators represent a sophisticated and particular product, present only in the catalog companies such as AstarLifts have demonstrated expertise and solvency.
In the previous section, they described some of the general properties that share these facilities, but there are others that relate to their optimum performance and also worth mentioning.
Features for proper operation
First, it is optional transformer having a regenerator. Electric lifts are powered by a power supply, but it is possible that the same tensile machine takes the place of an energy generator.
This transformer reduces harmonic currents and energy expenditure by 35% in addition to subtract 1,400 kilos per year of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. In terms of energy efficiency, it is revealed as a truly cost-effective option.
There are also runs standard emergency reserve (based on the cabin prioritizes these purposes only), the function of standard extended door opening (increases time, for example, stretchers into and out) or the safety margin of the door (a microswitch is the mechanical safety device which stops the closing of the doors, in the event that will come into contact with a passenger or stretcher).
Finally, another important issue (which, in AstarLifts can be rinsed with a suitable counseling) refers to cab model. It will depend on the specific needs of hospital services and aesthetics of the building.